When you think of Valentine’s Day, what is the first thing that comes to mind? If you’re thinking about flowers, candy and jewelry, you’re looking too far into the consumerism of the holiday. Let’s keep it pure and focus on the organ of love. No, not that one; I’m talking about the heart.
In honor of Valentine’s Day and my extreme love of horror, I present you with my personal list of favorite missing heart scenes in horror.
• Dr. Giggles– Evan Rendell (Larry Drake) is the son of a murderous doctor. Evan didn’t fall far from the tree in terms of psychosis as he escapes from a mental hospital and goes on a killing spree. My favorite part of the film is when the cop walks into the waiting room to find a room full of people with their hearts removed.
• From Dusk Till Dawn– The bank robbing Gecko brothers escape to Mexico via a commandeered RV and kidnapped family. When they get to their rendezvous point, they find themselves right smack in the middle of a vampire bar. Frost (Fred Williamson) reaches right into the chest of a vampire and rips his heart out with his bare hands.
• My Bloody Valentine– Miner and psycho killer Harry Warden (Peter Cowper) gives a warning to the town not to have a Valentine’s Day party. When they disobey, he goes on a killing spree. The fun part is that the message comes to the police in a box of candy filled with a human heart.
• Jason Lives– Jason Voorhees (CJ Graham) is brought back to life accidently when Tommy Jarvis (Thom Matthews) tries to destroy him. Once resurrected, Jason goes on with business as usual, hacking and slashing through horny drunken teenagers. One great kill is when Jason reaches in and roughly tears poor Allen’s heart out.
• Jeepers Creepers– When two siblings are heading home from college, they come upon a strange man dumping a body down a pipe. After investigating, they find that there are more than just that one body and the man is actually a creature. When they go to the police station for help, one cop ends up losing his heart to the Creeper.
• Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood– A private detective is hired to find a woman’s missing brother. The trail leads him to a funeral home that moonlights as a brothel. The surprise is that the hookers are all vampires. Lilith (Angie Everhart), the leader has one especially fun scene where she sticks her tongue down a guy’s throat and pops his heart right out of his chest with it.
• Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom– Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) is asked by an Indian village to locate and return a mystical stone stolen from them. He soon discovers the Temple of Doom where the village’s children have been forced to work. While technically not a horror movie, watching Mola Ram (Amrish Puri) rip that slaves heart out sure messed me up as a child.
• Repo! The Genetic Opera– A corrupt biotech company called GeneCo gives people organs they need but when they don’t pay up, their organs are repossessed. There is a scene where two of the potential heirs to the GeneCo empire are arguing over who will inherit the company. One of them stabs a woman when she accidently runs into him and stains his shirt with a removed heart.
• Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein– Victor Frankenstein (Kenneth Branagh) pieces together human parts to create and bring to life his own person. Unable to fit in as he is quite disfigured, the man becomes a monster. When Victor refuses to create a woman for the monster to spend his life with, the monster takes revenge by ripping the heart out of the woman Victor loves.
I have saved number 10, not for a film but for a television episode that I really think deserves to be here.
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer, “Hush”– The whole town of Sunnydale goes silent when The Gentlemen come to town and steal their voices. The Gentlemen need to collect seven hearts and, with no one being able to scream, they are able to pull to cut out a Sunnydale University student’s heart without anyone hearing a single peep.