Most television shows begin to grow stale after three or four seasons. Game of Thrones, however, manages to stay exciting and unpredictable despite beginning it’s sixth season this Spring. If you haven’t caught up on Season 5 yet in preparation for the new season in a few weeks, now is the time to do so!
Upon rewatching Season 5 through this Blu-ray set, I had completely forgotten some of the huge events that had taken place. So much happens in a matter of ten episodes that you almost need a steel trap of a memory to remember every seemingly small detail that, upon a second viewing, aren’t so small after all. Everything shown on Game of Thrones is fully intentional and it is up to you to pay attention to every detail to catch the full effect. It certainly isn’t a show for fair-weather viewers as anyone who begins the show will certainly feel the desire to binge watch and salivate waiting for new episodes to air.
The last two episodes of Season 5 are extremely painful to watch, which I think I blocked out in the several months between airing and coming to home release. These episodes made me come to the realization that Game of Thrones does not care about your feelings, only about telling an intense, quality story, something Season 5 delivers.
So why should you buy this set? For one, you obviously have the ability to watch the season at your own pace, without actually having to pay for HBO, which is something you probably want to do if you plan to avoid major social media spoilers by watching the new episodes as they air.
Two, why would you not want to relive some of the MASSIVE moments shown to us this season? I’m talking about moments like John Snow versus the White Walkers beyond the wall, Stannis Baratheon and his choice to put his fight for the crown over his family, Cersei taken captive by the High Sparrow, the first time Tyrion saw a dragon, and Arya joining the Many Faced God. These are goose bump inducing, heart racing moments that are worth reliving over and over.
Finally, the special features! This set is full of them. For those of us who like a little more of a historical background behind our favorite characters and why Westeros is in the state it currently is in (ie: the White Walkers, Daenerys and her dragons, the Lannisters), these special features are packed with answers for all of our questions.
Special Features include:
Blu-ray with Digital Copy – includes all DVD features plus:
- The Dance of Dragons – Hear the story of the Greens and the Blacks, the Targaryen civil war that led to the downfall of the dragons, featuring surprise narration from notable characters from past seasons.
- In-Episode Guide – Dig deeper into the show with this in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories.
- Histories and Lore – Learn about the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves in 14 history pieces. Select Histories feature illustrations from the show’s storyboard artist, Will Simpson.
The Blu-ray will also feature the revolutionary new audio technology Dolby Atmos which places and moves sounds and music anywhere in the room, including overhead, creating a captivating experience that brings entertainment alive all around the audience. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receivers and additional speakers are required; however, Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment and will automatically play in the best possible way.
- Anatomy of an Episode: Mother’s Mercy – From the early stages of the writer’s room to the final visual effects, see what went into creating “Mother’s Mercy,” the Emmy-winning episode fans will be talking about for years to come.
- The Real History Behind Game of Thrones – Watch historians, along with George R.R. Martin, explore the interweaving inspirations of the actual players in the era known as “The Wars of the Roses” and other historical events in this two-part series atch historians, along with George R.R. Martin, explore the interweaving inspirations of the actual players in the era known as “The Wars of the Roses” and other historical events in this two-part series.
- Audio Commentaries – Twelve audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Kit Harington, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Iain Glen, Maisie Williams, Natalie Dormer, Gwendoline Christie and more.
- Deleted Scenes – Four deleted scenes.
- A Day in the Life – Three countries, hundreds of cast& crew, one epic day. Get an inside look at the production process of Season 5.
- New Characters/New Locations – Explore the new societies, cultures and locations of Season 5.
This set is worth picking up for any fan of the show who wants to relive the season or just to complete a set. For those who haven’t begun watching Game of Thrones yet, I ask what are you waiting for?
Game of Thrones Season 5 is now available on DVD and Blu-ray from HBO
Ann Hale is the horror editor for Pop-Break.com and a senior contributing writer, reviewing horror movies and television shows. Ann attended East Carolina University, majoring in English Literature. She is a collector of Halloween (the film) memorabilia and is a self-admitted opinionated horror nerd. You can follow her, her collection and her cat, Edward Kittyhands on Twitter and Instagram @Scarletjupiter