AEW and Ring of Honor owner and head of creative Tony Khan spoke to the media on Thursday March 30 to discuss Ring of Honor Supercard of Honor — which airs tonight at 7pm EST on Bleacher Report.
Khan spoke at length about running Ring of Honor since he handled the transitional Supercard of Honor show last year in Texas. This included scouting talent, Athena’s run as Women’s Champion, Eddie Kingston’s wrestling mind, Claudio Castagnoli and Wheeler Yuta’s role in the company and at length he spoke about the late, great Jay Briscoe and his influence on Ring of Honor, tonight’s show and himself.
Pop Break was able to ask Tony Khan about how booking Ring of Honor — a show that does not have to worry about Nielsen ratings and commercial breaks — has impacted AEW Dynamite and Rampage. As longtime observers of AEW, it’s very obvious that this already exciting promotion has shifted gears as storylines are more robust (yet tighter in execution), there’s a variety of wrestlers on the show, and there’s just a completely different vibe altogether.
AEW is also discussed. He speaks on Orange Cassidy, Canadian tours, ratings in Canada, a huge announcement coming on the next Dynamite, Bandido’s visa issues, Will Ospreay and much more.
- Can you explain the thought and detail that went into the Kingston & Claudio main event? And can we see videos like this in AEW and ROH in the future particularly when people have a long history.
- Eddie Kingston’s mind for the pro wrestling business.
- The future of women’s wrestling in Ring of Honor.
- Athena vs. Willow Nightingale being one of the best matches in ROH since he purchased it.
- Athena as the ROH Women’s Championship.
- Filming the next ROH TV episode in New York (Long Island specifically).
- ROH heading to Canada?
- AEW’s Summer Canadian Tour.
- TV Ratings with TSN and ITV.
- Will he be scouting talent this weekend in Los Angeles?
- International wrestlers like Bandido and El Hijo del Vikingo.
- Bandido and his visa issues.
- Wheeler Yuta vs. Shibata.
- The growth of Wheeler Yuta.
- Katsuyori Shibata’s comeback.
- Orange Cassidy.
- Lessons over the last four years on managing wrestling talent.
- Comparing coaching football to managing talent.
- Announces 15,000 subscribers for weekly TV.
- The success and development of HonorClub.
- Reach for the Sky Ladder Match.
- Will this match be an ROH staple?
- Who came up with the concept of the Reach for the Sky Ladder Match (Hint: It wasn’t Tony).
- Mark Briscoe
- The legacy and life of Jay Briscoe.
- Getting Mark Briscoe on TBS.
- Was Will Ospreay planned for ROH?
- There’s more opportunities for ROH and AEW to work with New Japan.
- William Regal not going to NXT as explained to Tony.
- Competing Media Calls as WWE had there’s as well.
- Will Yuka Sakazaki face the winner of Athena or Emi Sakura?
- Has booking Ring of Honor influenced and reinvigorating the booking of All Elite Wrestling Dynamite and Rampage.